Sunday, May 29, 2011

Monkey Jockeys and More

Hello friends, I thought I would share more of my collection of vintage Greyhound images. The first group is particularly interesting!

Just prior to 1930, Loretta and Charlie David began training capuchin monkeys as Greyhound "jockeys." The monkeys had specially designed saddles and spent two years training with their Greyhound partners. The Davids introduced them to crowds in Palm Beach, Florida, before taking the act across country.





More images from long ago.





Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

Sharon said...

How fascinating!

Tasha said...

INCREDIBLY AWESOME! Thanks so much for sharing these!

Mad Red Hare said...

Love your photos! I thought I had a good collection, but I think you got me beat!

lessthanthedust@gmail.com said...

wow could you let me know where you found pic 7? the black dog and fawn dog with the young man? they are scarily like my two dogs, would love to know any more! thanks! great blog btw!

Trina said...

Great photos..thanks for sharing.

greyhoundguardian said...

Who knew???? Where did you come across this. Would love to know more. These dogs never cease to amaze me. They are incredible.

Anonymous said...

Actually, there is a 1933 patent for the monkey-rider harness, shown in one of the photos. If you want a good laugh, google US patent 1,926,000 Sept. 1933, R. Renfro. I'm not sure how they thought strapping the monkey's head to the dog was going to improve safety.